Monday, September 7, 2009

Oobleck

It will soon become evident that I LOVE Dr. Suess books. On a recent reading adventure, my children and I read "Bartholomew and the Oobleck." My boys got the biggest kick out of the sticky oobleck in the story. I decided to make them some of their own oobleck to play with. I hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
(2) plastic cups
Stirring stick (I used a popsicle stick)
Water
20 Mule Team Borax
Food Coloring (optional)
School Glue
2 liter bottle

1. Start by measuring out equal parts of glue and water in separate cups. You can decide how much you would like--just make sure that you have a 50/50 ratio. Set aside.

2. Using the 2 liter bottle, add 1 cup of the borax. Fill bottle 3/4 of the way full with water. Shake bottle for 5 minutes until borax is dissolved.

3. Now, using the glue and water previously measured out, combine them together into one cup. Add food coloring if desired. Mix well using stirring stick.

4. Here comes the fun part! Slowly add the borax solution a few drops at a time while stirring. The mixture will instantly begin to thicken.
5. Continue adding borax until oobleck is the consistency you'd like. (I did mine really stiff so it won't stick to carpets, tables, clothes, etc.)

6. Remove oobleck from stirring stick. Rinse under cold water.

7. Play away! Enjoy this fun recipe!

*DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO EAT! BORAX IS TOXIC IF SWALLOWED. ADULT SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED WITH YOUNG CHILDREN.

P.S. Borax will be used in a future post on making your own laundry soap! Keep it handy for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment