Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More Fondant Fun

As most of you know, my Aiden turned 4 this month. For his party, we wanted a Spiderman theme. This required me to think outside the box for his birthday cake, as I like my children's' birthday cakes to be different from the usual. Here is what I came up with. I hope you find inspiration from this post and that you become adventurous and try fondant out for yourself! For the "buildings" , I baked (2) 9x13 and (2) 8" cakes. I did the bottom cakes white and the top cakes chocolate to add variety. After trimming the cakes, I stacked them together using frosting.
Using the colored fondant that I made prior to baking the cakes, I rolled the fondant out to a size large enough to cover the bottom cake. *For larger cakes, this quickly becomes a 2-person job. To prevent the fondant from tearing when transferring, have a helper handy! I used a great friend, Desirea, who also made the yummy frosting to hold the cakes together. Thanks Des!*
After covering both cakes, I stacked them on top of each other. (Straws were inserted into the cake base underneath the fondant to add stability.)
For the windows on the building, I rolled out black, white and yellow fondant. I sprinkle corn starch on the counter tops to prevent sticking. Using a sharp, non-serrated knife, cut out the shapes. Place shapes, uncovered, on a corn starch coated cookie sheet. Let sit out overnight for best results.
After pieces have sat overnight, use frosting to attach to the base cake. I then used some black icing to pipe the spiderweb on top of the cake. For added decoration, I also put spiderwebs on the candle holders.
This cake was SO much fun to make. It turned out great and it ended up being different from the "normal" party cake. Fondant seems scary to most people, but it is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment