Friday, July 24, 2009

Why I LOVE Vinegar: bonus post!

Vinegar has to be one of the greatest products out there---and it's cheap! I don't know about you, but I use vinegar on a daily basis for all sorts of things. Here are a few of my favorite uses for this wonderful product. I use white, distilled vinegar in our home, but any kind will do. Just be careful as brown cider vinegar can stain some surfaces.


My Top 10 Uses for Vinegar


10. No-wax floor cleaner (for vinyl flooring.) Pour approx. 1 cup into a sink full of hot water. I sometimes add a few drops of dish soap to the water. Mop the floor as usual. Floor will dry nice and shiny when finished.

9. Remove hard water spots. Pour vinegar on to a rag or sponge. Rub hard water deposits until gone. I use this on my bathtub fixtures and my stainless-steel sink. LOVE it!

8. Laundry booster. Pour approx. 1/2 cup vinegar in to each load of laundry. It removes odors and eliminates the need for fabric softener. (This can take the "dish-rag" smell out of anything!)

7. Sink deodorizer. Pour approx. 1 cup of vinegar down the drain and let sit for 30-45 minutes. Rinse with water. We lack a garbage disposal at our house, so I do this once a week to maintain freshness. If you have a garbage disposal, make vinegar ice cubes and chop up in disposal. Rinse with cold water.

6. Deodorize toilet bowl. Pour approx. 2 1/2-3cups of vinegar in toilet bowl. Let stand for 45 minutes. Brush well. Flush.

5. Unclog shower heads or sink sprayers. Soak a rag in vinegar and wrap around shower head or sprayer. Let sit overnight. Rinse clean.

4. Window cleaner. Place vinegar in a spray bottle and spray directly on windows. Use old newspapers to dry for a sparkly shine!

3. Room deodorizer. Place in a spray bottle and lightly mist in the air. Works wonders!

2. Ant repellent. Spray vinegar around door frames, windows or other problem areas. You will need to reapply about every two weeks for best results.

#1. My all-time favorite use for vinegar.....Vinegar Taffy!! My Great Aunt Fran used to let me come over to make vinegar taffy with her. I absolutely love this recipe. Here it is....


2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
Buttered cookie sheet
Butter for your hands
Scissors
Wax paper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Mix until sugar is dissolved and it is no longer grainy. Cook until mixture reaches hard-ball stage (about 260 degrees.) Pour mix on to a buttered cookie sheet. Let cool until taffy can be handled. Butter hands very well. Pick up taffy and begin pulling until it turns light in color. Twist in to ropes. Cut ropes into sections using buttered scissors. Wrap in waxed paper. Enjoy!! (You may also add food coloring or an additional flavoring to this recipe.)

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you could do all of that with vinegar! I think your blog is going to be my new favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete